How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask familylawexpert Your Own Question
familylawexpert, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 311
Experience:  Substantial experience (14yrs +) in divorce, financial cases, cohabitation, pre-nuptial agreements and civil partnerships.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
familylawexpert is online now

I have recently accidentally discovered that my wife has made

Customer Question

I have recently accidentally discovered that my wife has made out a will leaving her entire estate to her children by her first marriage. No reference was made to me when this was drawn up nor have I been toild about it subsequently. My will leaves my entire estate to my wife.

Do I have grounds for divorce?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  familylawexpert replied 4 years ago.

familylawexpert : Hello,
familylawexpert : My name is Magnus, and I am a family lawyer of many years. I can help you with your question.
JACUSTOMER-3h3ou4ar- :

Sorry, working at the moment. Free at about 3.30

familylawexpert : In England,there are two bases upon which a divorce can be obtained without waiting for st least two years separation: adultery and unreasonable behaviour. However, the threshold for unreasonable behaviour is very very low, and there it's almost certainly enough behaviour in even a happy marriage for an unreasonable behaviour petition.
familylawexpert : So, if you don't mind me saying this, the real question is whether you want a divorce at all. I can see that your wife's action would be upsetting, but have you tried discussing it with her? If the two of you alone is not enough, perhaps you could enlist the help of a marriage counsellor or mediator. At the end of the day, if you still want a divorce, there will always be sufficient grounds for a petition to be prepared.
Expert:  familylawexpert replied 4 years ago.
Sorry - when I typed my original response it didn't show your short message about being busy with work until 3.30pm. By all means reply later this afternoon, and I'll reply as soon as I can. (I might be in a meeting until a little after that, but will get back you asap).