How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hi My daughter has been in an abusive relationship - mainly

Customer Question

My daughter has been in an abusive relationship - mainly emotional and financial abuse from a man trying to control her. She was pregnant but ended the relationship and moved 150 miles away. The baby is two weeks old. He is making demands that she cannot name the baby as she wishes and that he wants to see the baby and has consulted a solicitor. My daughter saw a solicitor and he said one option would be to write and say that he can see the baby for 1 hour per fortnight in Norfolk but she cannot stop him having parental rights and he can apply to court for contact order, declaration and PR, so that she may be better to organise it now on her terms. She is afraid that this will give him control and courts will say if DV involved why did you agree
Please can you advise
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you
The starting point is that naming the child is your daughter's privilege and no one can change the name once she has registered the birth.
With regard to contact the law says that a child is entitled to contact with both parents and the courts will enforce this - so offering contact on her terms is always the best starting point.
In view of the abuse an hour a fortnight at a local (to her) contact centre ( is a very sensible compromise and shows that she respects the needs of the child but is balancing that against her need for safety,
Yes the father can apply to have his name added to the birth certificate - and Parental Responsibility - but to get PR he will have to show that he is committed to building a relationship with the child - so he will have to prove himself first!
There is a great deal of interesting information on this website
I hope that this helps - do please ask for more details if you need them
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


Thanks that is really helpful. The solicitor advised her that she could request he visits my home with her not present but me to supervise contact. He seemed to think Contact Centre not a great idea as they are largely unsupervised? Also my daughter is breast feeding and the upset is causing her to have problems with the milk supply - she would need to breast feed every two hours therefore would have to be on hand at the contact centre. At my home she could stay upstairs. - Its a big house!

Does this sound reasonable

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
If you are happy with that then that is fine.
I woudl however aim to move it onto a Contact Centre as soon as you can - for your sakes- you do not want him in your home.
Go and visit your local contact centre - although there may not be one on one supervision there are volunteers present to ensure safety so they are never alone.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


Does he have a legal right to know where my daughter and the baby are living


Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Not necessarily at this stage especially given the abuse - provided there is a clear point of contact - which there is in you and your address