How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask familylawexpert Your Own Question
familylawexpert, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 311
Experience:  Substantial experience (14yrs +) in divorce, financial cases, cohabitation, pre-nuptial agreements and civil partnerships.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
familylawexpert is online now

I went to New Zealand with my ex partner and she threw me out

Customer Question

I went to New Zealand with my ex partner and she threw me out of her house as soon as we arrived. She is now taking me to small claims court in the UK saying i told her i would pay for us to go to a holiday home in Auckland. I had returned to the Uk and she went to this said home and paid for it herself. I did not return to New Zealand.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  vincent2013 replied 4 years ago.

vincent2013 :

Hi, thanks for your question. My name's XXXXX XXXXX I'm going to assist you with it.

vincent2013 :

What is the basis of the claim she has submitted and how much is the claim for.

JACUSTOMER-e16cv9n3- :

The claim is for 2,000 pounds.

vincent2013 :

What is the legal basis for the claim? Is she saying that you breached a contract that you made with her?

vincent2013 :

Hi there, sorry but I'm having some IT difficulties with the "chat" interface so I'm going to revert to the Q&A screen. This will not effect our conversation.

Expert:  vincent2013 replied 4 years ago.

Apologies but I'm still experiencing difficulties. I am going to have to OPT OUT whilst I reboot but another expert will be along shortly, please don't take any action by responding to me as this could delay things.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I was told that i had said i would pay the money when i returned to New Zealand for the holiday home. I was not going to return as she ended the relationship. she is now taking me to small claims in uk. She went ahead on holiday home and claiming 7 months later?

Expert:  familylawexpert replied 4 years ago.

My name is Mac and I will do my best to help you with the question. First I have to ask for some more information .

You said "ex partner", were you ever married?
Were you in a relationship when you went to NZ?
How long were you going to NZ for originally?
Were you both living in the UK before that trip to NZ?
Has she actually started proceedings in the UK courts?