How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34889
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I would like to raise a formal complaint against the CSA for

Customer Question

I would like to raise a formal complaint against the CSA for the way they have dealt with my case in recent weeks.
I have been paying for my two sons regular maintenance since separating from my ex-wife in January 2010. since then, I have made monthly payment without failure. In January 2012, following a promotion at work, I informed the agency of my changes in circumstances. I did not receive any correspondence from them for over 16 months until completely out of the blue, a case worker rang me on the 25th of June 2013 to inform me that I was nearly £2000 in arrears.

I was asked on that day to agree a repayment schedule. even though I explained that I never seen any written correspondence with a full breakdown of their calculation and the subsequent proposed increase for my monthly payments, I was informed that unless I agreed on that day, they would recover the arrears via a court order. I requested to get the full breakdown in writing explaining where those arrears were coming from.

I never received any further correspondence from the agency until late July when I was informed in writing by my employer that the CSA had requested full repayment for those arrears over a five months period via a court order. When contacted on the day, it became obvious that the Agency had been using an incorrect house number for myself all along. Even though it was evidently a mistake on their part, they never made any apology nor did they reviewed the situation.

I have since then received written correspondence to my correct address with evidences that their initial correspondences were send to the wrong house number. Even the NHS payroll have confirmed that when the court order was presented to them, it came with the incorrect house number. I have never refused to make any payment towards my two children. However in this instance, I feel aggrieved by the way I have been dealt with by a Government Agency. I am a Senior Ambulance officer with a respectable work history and to be treated in such a way is unacceptable.

I have raised complaints to the Agency about this but to no avail and I would like to take this further in an attempt to ensure that such practices and lack of professionalism do not become common practice. any advice as to how this can be raised to get progress would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Yannick Raimbault
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Have you actually invoked the formal complaints procedure?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, the formal complaint procedure was never invoked as when I spoke to case worker or search on-line on how to raise a complaint, I haven't been informed nor found guidances as to the process for this.

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
The formal complaints process is set out here
and here
ALWAYS deal with them in writing and keep a copy - and follow up any phone call they make to you with a letter setting out what they said to you
You can also get assistance from this group
I hope that this is of assistance please ask if you need further details