How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My son split up with his girl friend a couple of years ago.

Customer Question

My son split up with his girl friend a couple of years ago. Some time later she realised she was pregnant & says the father is my son, which I believe to be true. My son wants to do a DNA test to confirm this & bought a 'for peace of mind test' last December. She won't let him do it. He won't pay any maintenance until he has the DNA test done.

She says she wants to do it legally through the CSA with a 'legal' DNA test. I would rather they sort things out between themselves, as I feel my son would get better access, rather through the CSA who are only interested in financial matters.

I have explained to her that the peace of mind test is not illegal & that sorting things out between themselves is not illegal & I have offered to pay for an accredited test. But she is just cutting us all out and now not letting us see the child.

So in a nutshell the problem is that my son is not paying maintenance & she won't let him do a DNA test. How can we get a DNA test done? How do we get her to consent to one?


Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.

Clare :


Clare :

Thank you for your question

Clare :

My name is Clare and I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Clare :

has the mother actually applied to the CSA?

Clare :

Does your son actually wish to see the child?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Claire


Thankyou for your reply.


I do not know if the mother has applied to the CSA. As far as I know she hasn't & my son has not told me otherwise.


My son does wish to see the child and up until a couple of months ago he did see him in the mothers presence. He has been once with her for baby's vaccination, he has taken her out for meals (with baby), she has been around our house & he round hers and he has taken her & baby to the coast for the day (but was not allowed to put pictures on Facebook for some reason).


Once a DNA test confirms he is the father, he will start supporting them financially.





Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Actually the easiest and quickest way of getting a DNA test is within a CSA assessment
Admittedly it is not the cheapest DNA Test - although the money is refunded if the child is not your sons
The only alternative is for your son to apply for a Defined Contact Order and within that application ask for a DNA test to be done at his expense
The form he would need is here
and the court fee is £215 - the DNA test will be extra - and he cannot use the one he already has
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details