How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35054
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My husband and I receive pension credit each week which is

Customer Question

My husband and I receive pension credit each week which is in his name and he draws out. He also has money in an account held by his daughter and £5000 in his own bank. I do not have access to any of this. My income is nil. He is not prepared to share any of HIS money. We are a mixed aged couple - he is 65 and I am 53. I can't work as we will lose out pension credit. Am I entitled to anything at all?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Aside form loosing out on pension credit is there any reason why you cannot work?
Do you wish to remain within the marriage?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I think my husband is worried about my working as we will lose benefits. I am not sure about staying in the marriage. we have been married for two years with no sex - money seems to be the key issue with lack of intimacy?

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
If your husband will not give you any control over the income that he claims then your obtaining employment so that you have money that is yours is the only way that you can protect yourself and have any independence.
If that effects his income then frankly that is clearly his problem and not yours.
It is your choice whether you wish to continue in this marriage or not - but if you are then you need to go to Relate to help your husband understand that it is a relationship of equals and you are entitled to be treated as such.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details