How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35038
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My children have inheritances worth £25000 with some income

Customer Question

My children have inheritances worth £25000 with some income from them. Four are over 16 with three of those still in education. There is also a 12 year old. Can their father insist this money is brought into an FDR hearing - he feels they should support themselves from now on? How does it work? I cannot work and will need to prove that to the court. The house we will be left with needs loads of work but is the children's stability. He has several (and has given shares in two to his new partner - believing them to be outside the equation as both bought just after separation 7 years ago).

Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How old are the older chidlren?
How much are the assets held by either you or your ex worth?
What income do you each have and why can you not work?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Clare, thank you. 24 (living here for a month or so more), 22 (second degree, away), 19 (first degree), 16 (just started A levels and wants to do a 5 year degree). £450000 house (to me but needs all essential services updating not mentioned on valuation); £260000 house (jointly owned - he has taken all the rental income for 7 years, I paid significant capital into all houses over the years). Two houses he bought straight after separation but wishes to argue aren't in the pot and has given chunks to his partner, a further half flat from his mother's estate ( his new partner also has one and possibly two further properties let out of her own). Basically plenty money to pay off his mortgage on the four bedroom house his children never visit. My (hopefully ringfenced as in capital not touched since age 17 investments £480000 in my will for my children - income from this has supported eldest three to date all the way through uni and if left alone will continue to do so). His investments £120000 of which I bought £43000 worth. Income - his significant services pension in payment and "£82000" salary, claims he will retire next year (14 year age gap). For me, two critical illnesses in the last five years - one leaving some disabilities/pain/cognitive issues/inability to drive any distance/further 5-6 operations in the next 2-3 years. My partner issued with redundancy recently and limited options without moving my children away from their roots (essential stability). Ex has a better standard of living than pre separation (several holidays abroad a year), ours is significantly worse. He has paid minimum csa for three of his children and does not intend to continue, expecting their needs to be met from their inheritance. He wants, in addition, to give me no pension sharing and to have £320000 in cash as well as the £260000 house.

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
So you have £480,000 is savings in your own name
He has £120,000 in his name
There are two house in joint names with equity of £450,000 and £260,000 respectively both mortgage free
There are two other houses - how much are they worth and how were they financed?
What is the CETV of the pension?