How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35044
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hello Do you deal with financial matters concerning a property

This answer was rated:


Do you deal with financial matters concerning a property in a divorce where children are involved?

Thank you for your question.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How old are the children and what assets and debts are there for division?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The situation is this:

My husband and I seperated 18 months ago. He forced me out the house using verbal agression and the children remained with their father in the family home. I moved into a flat. We did agree to sell the house but unfortunately he attacked me in my flat in front of the children and has now got a criminal record. The children moved in with me in the family love. I was awarded occupation order on monday to move back into the 4 bedroom house with my children. We are in the midst of a prohibited steps and residency order but I do believe he has very little chance of getting residency with the children.

I am representing myself in court due to lack of funds.

Today I recieved a letter from his solicitor threatening me that the house is above the needs of me and my 2 children aged 13 and 10. She said that my hiusband will go to court to seek an order of sale and that the costs will come out of the matrimonial pot.

We are at Nisi in the divorce.

Is there any advice you can give me and can I stop him?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Also the house was on the market for 469.99k. My husband accepted 450k but I refused to accept the offer because I had applied for an occupation order.

There is a mortgage of around 185k


How much does a three bedroom property in the same general area cost
What other assets are there?
What income do you each have?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

A 3 bedroom house costs in excess of 300k


There are no other assets.


I am self employed and only earn around 20k. He has recently changed his job again. I reckon he is earning at least 50k


The mortgage i tried to get was only 50k. I won't be able to buy a property to suit my needs.


I am worried he will force me to sell and leave me homeless with not enough money to buy.

So if you had the £300,000 plus a small mortgage you could rehouse yourself and the children?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes but there isn't enough equity in the house.


he now has to pay me maintenance of £500 a month plus I get tax credits so there is a chance I will get more mortgage now as the children are in my care

But in fact if the house was sold the equity would be £260,000 or so - plus £50,000 mortgage would rehouse you?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes but what about his equity?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He wants 120k!!!!

That is as may be - but the priority for the court is the safe and secure housing of the children until they are 18
On that basis whilst he may be able to force a sale to enable him to be released from the mortgage YOU will need ALL the proceeds of sale to rehouse himself - and he will still have to way for his money until your youngest is 18
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you