How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35054
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I need to sign a power of attorney and my surname is listed

This answer was rated:

I need to sign a power of attorney and my surname is XXXXX XXXXX a double barrelled name on my passport and on my bank details (a combination of both my maiden surname and my husbands surname). Unfortunately when the power of attorney was set up, it only took my husbands surname. I still sign my normal signature as before I was married with my maiden surname. I've been told I need to go to a notary to change my name from just my Husbands surname to our combined surnames - is this correct and can I sign my normal signature on the power of attorney document?
Thank you for your question.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Sorry - is this an existing Power or a new one - and what will it be used for?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Clare

Its a new one - only just set up;It is a financial one

Thanks H

Is it for a specific transaction?
is there ant reason it cannot be changed to use your correct name?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Clare

They realise I normally go under the combined name, but they've been quoted about £900 to re- do it which they can ill afford...I don't mind getting my name authorised by a Notary if needs be...I just don't want to do anything illegal...


Ah - are you being appointed as and Attorney for someone else?
Are they in the Uk?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes they are in the UK, and it's for my Step Dad


Hi Heidi
In the Uk you can use any name you wish so long as you are not doing so for fraudulent purposes.
As married woman you can use your name - your husbands name - or a combination of both as you do.
There is no need for a change of name deed to be notarised
In this case the easiest option is simply to sign it in the name shown - but if you prefer to use your proper signature you will just need to keep a copy of the Marriage Certificate with the paperwork to prove that you are you
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you