How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask familylawexpert Your Own Question
familylawexpert, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 311
Experience:  Substantial experience (14yrs +) in divorce, financial cases, cohabitation, pre-nuptial agreements and civil partnerships.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
familylawexpert is online now

I have been divorced for 4 years after a 6 year separation

This answer was rated:

I have been divorced for 4 years after a 6 year separation (15 years of marriage). We didn't go through a solicitor and I didn't get a settlement agreed at the time. He has paid basic child maintenance through the CSA for our two children and has paid the mortgage for the last 10 years. Both children are now out of education and he wants me to take over the mortgage payments. We still have 10 years left to run on the mortgage and I can't afford to pay the £400 a month mortgage. He wants half the house when the children leave home. Can I go for a settlement now? He owns his own company and has remarried.

My name isXXXXX will be able to help you with your question. First I need a bit more information:

- have you remarried?
- do I understand correctly that no financial order was made upon your divorce (or since)?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.



I haven't remarried. I live with my daughter who is 22 and my son who has just turned 19.


No financial order has been made at any time. We made a verbal agreement between ourselves that he would pay the mortgage and pay child maintenance through the CSA and we would sort the rest out later.


It is open to you to make your application for a financial order now. Indeed, I would encourage you to do so without further delay.

If you do make an application now, a court will consider your claims just as it would do upon any divorce, although it may give both of you some credit for any assets built up since the divorce was concluded.

Whether he got any of the house would depend on what the total assets were, including pensions, and your respective earning capacities (or actual income, if working fulltime).

I hope that is helpful. If you would like any clarification, please ask. Otherwise I would be grateful if you could rate my answer.

Kind regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your answer. How would I make an application for a financial order - is this through a solicitor? And how much is it likely to cost me to go ahead with this?


Thank you


Hello Ruth,

You start the financial proceedings by issuing a "Form A" (which you can get from the court) at the court that handled your divorce). The court fee for starting the proceedings is around £350. You do not need a solicitor, although you might value their advice at some stage.

The starting point for the division of your assets is likely to be a broadly equal division of the total assets (including pensions and business interests).

I would suggest that you suggest mediation to your ex-husband before issuing proceedings, as that may be more confrontational than simply starting proceedings without warning.

The first thing to do is for both of you to prepare a schedule of all of your assets and exchange it.

familylawexpert and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Many thanks for your advice.


Kind regards



No problem. Good luck.