How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35042
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hello i was wondering if i could sue my babys father for financial

This answer was rated:

Hello i was wondering if i could sue my baby's father for financial support and for not processing her citizenship since the child was born and its been over two years now. He only sends a little bit of money over and it is not regular and on time. He didnt tell me he was married and he got me pregnant i had to leave the uk with the pregnancy because i had immigration issues with the and i suffered for 9 good months in the Gambia alone he came to the gambia twice but did take up the responsibility to put us in a better situation when he came. My baby should start school soon and he is not helping at all and i want her to go to school in england. I and my baby are struggling in the Gambia his father is is British and well off but he takes me for granted and taking advantage over me because i am not in the uk. Pls i would do with some advice
Thank you for your question.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Is he named on the birth certificate?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes he is named on the birth certificate
You have two options
You can make an application for child support in Ghana and then arrange for the Order to be enforced in the Uk via the Ghanaian authorities
OR you can make an application to the courts here in the UK to make the Order so that you can control the enforcement
You can apply for British Citizenship for your son if you wish - there is no compensation claim you can make against your ex for this however
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I want to claim british citizenship for my daughter but how can i do it without her father getting involved because i am gambian and am not a british citizen. Pls tell me how i can apply to the courts in the uk and what and what are the requirements since i am not in the uk but my daughter is half british and i want her to have her rights?
Is her father British by birth?
In any event she will be able to apply in the future should she so wish - there is no benefit for her in claiming it now.
If you wish to apply for child maintenance the form you need is here The fee is £215 and you need to send it to the Family Court nearest to where he lives.
You may find it easier to instruct a solicitor to deal with this
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes he is british by birth
Then you will need her Birth Certificate and his birth certificate and you can apply on a form available from the Embassy - however as I said at this stage it will make no difference to her at all