How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34896
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have two children age 4 and 2 my boyfriend and I split up

This answer was rated:

I have two children age 4 and 2 my boyfriend and I split up 6 months ago he has them 12days out of 28 and gives me £80 a month I don't think this is enough and want more but he says because he has them and looks after them he shouldn't e en give me anything , he also says if he had them 2 more days a month he wouldn't give me anything . I want them to see their dad but I think he should give me more money. I work so don't want to start paying for lawyers it's too never Christmas ...I also don't want CSA involved as it would only hurt my children more but secretly would love to hurt him with that.. Please help answer my question . Thanking you
Thank you for your question.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How old are the children - and please confirm that you mean they spend 12 nights out of 28 with their father?
How much does he earn each month before tax?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I already told you the children's ages in my question they are age 4 and 2 .they stay with their father 12 nights out of 28 . He gives me £80 a month for the kids and grudges every penny I want more . My question to you is am I being unreasonable he has even told me if he takes the kids even more days he will give me nothing and that's law please just answer my question without asking how much money we both earn I don't know his e act amount but I get one parent family allowance on top of my wages I work 30 hours a week .
I am sorry but when it comes to child maintenance your income is not relevant - but HIS is - there is no way that I can comment on the amount that he pays and whether or not it is correct without knowing how much he earns
I also have to say that the CSA is the ONLY way of achieving more money by way of child maintenance
However I can say that unless he is earning more than £24,000 a year before tax you will not receive any more if you do apply to the CSA.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is it true if he has the kids the same amount of time a year he doesn't have to pay me any money at all . Simple terms he has them 3 days one week , then I have them 3days one week ....then he has them 4 days next week and I have them 4 days next week ....will behave to give me money You already know the ages of the children so please answer that question ...will I be charged another £11 if so do not answer my question thank you
No this is a follow up - just do NOT press accept again.
Yes under the new CSA rules if he has the children 7 nights out of 14 then the CSA assessment will be nil