How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1390
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

I am trapped in a long divorce process for which a final hearing

Customer Question

I am trapped in a long divorce process for which a final hearing is scheduled in January 2014. I cannot afford a lawyer to represent me or prepare for this hearing. May I represent myself? A related question : my ex's solicitor is claiming that debts exceed assets so is seeking to apply to the court to "strike my claim" and cancel the hearing. I know this is untrue but what can I do to prevent this happening?
Thanks in anticipation of a swift reply.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What assets and debts are there
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an information request here from the Expert. This means they need to know more details before they will be able to give you a full answer.

Thank you,