How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34895
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hi, I have an 8 month old daughter who was 6 week pre-mature

This answer was rated:

Hi, I have an 8 month old daughter who was 6 week pre-mature and kept in hospital for that long and on incubator being drip fed.

me and the father were never a serious relationship infact he went abroad for 2 months, and when he returned i told him i was pregnant! he replied with 'have a termination' he would pay for it to be private! now she is born he wants custody and im trying to stop that! can anybody make me let my daughter see him if i stop it? (his names not on the birth certificate)

Thanks for your help

Thank you for your question.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What contact has he had with the child and what is he actually asking for?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Clare,


He has had very little contact with her he seen her 3-4 times a few months ago but i was advised to stop this by the womens refuge i had been previously been refered to.

He is asking for parental responsibility and it seems like he is wanting his name on the birth certificate but i dont want this because i fear he will take her away from me as he is prone to just disappear for lengthy times and is definatley not reliable.




Why were you advised to stop the contact - and why were you in the refuge?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I wasnt in a refuge i just called down to talk to them and get advice on my situation.


I was advised to stop contact so he didnt get too attached and also to ensure he wouldnt get parental responsibility etc.



That was incredibly bad advice I am afraid and in fact has made your position worse.
The law says that a child is entitled to contact with BOTH parents and the Courts will enforce it - so the first answer is yes the court can and will allow him to have contact whatever your position is
Parental Responsibility is not the same as Residence and asking for it does not mean that he is seeking to take the child away from you - and if he is the Biological Father he is entitled to obtain an order allowing his name to be added to the Birth Certificate
At this stage the way forward is to offer regular contact at a local Contact Centre ( so that he can build a relationship with the child - and say that you will review the question of PR after 6 months because of your doubts that he will actually stay around and be committed - this is a reasonable argument for a delay
You can get more ideas on this website
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok, thanks for your help.

You are welcome - I am sorry the news was not better - but this is an area where the courts are very firm
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you