How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34908
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My ex husband is currently serving 9 years in prison for drug

This answer was rated:

My ex husband is currently serving 9 years in prison for drug smuggling and money laundering. He is now demanding that i let the children speak to him on the phone even though they dont want to. Before he was charged he was only allowed supervised access in a contact centre. He is now saying he will take me to court does he have any rights?
Thank you for your question.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How old are the children and how often did he actually have contact before he went down?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hi the children are 5 &8 and he saw them for two hours every 2 weeks in a contact centre
Do they have any contact with any other members of his family?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no contact at all with any members
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
My apologies for the delay
The children have the right to contact with both parents - and your ex has the right to apply to the court for indirect contact.
However the children are still very young for telephone contact to be easy - especially in these circumstances - and it is doubtful that it will be ordered.
More likely would be ongoing letter contact with the children sending pictures etc each month - and this would be a reasonable offer for you to make at this stage
You can also get some ideas from this website
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you