How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34902
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I lived with my partner in my house for 4 and half years, I

This answer was rated:

I lived with my partner in my house for 4 and half years, I have always paid the mortgage (the deeds and mortgage are in my own name) he contributed for most of that time towards electic gas food etc but the amount was considerably less than he would have paid to rent a room. We have now split up and he reckons he can get money out of me through a solicitor! Can he?
Thank you for your question.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Did he pay anything towards any renovations or improvements?
Did you ever promise him a share of the property?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No I didn't promise him a share in the property. We did talk about how I would make sure in my will he could stay here if I died first, and then the house would become my children's but I haven't written my will. With regard to renovations.... external lights - paid cash to electrician no bill or receipt. Extension to drive again paid cash no receipt ( a friend of a friend!). He has bought odd things for the house kettle toaster, internal light fittings but I cant think of anything else.

The drive and the lights - how much did he pay?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The lights were about £30.00 and the drive was about £975.00 and some of the funds for this were raised through a car boot sale that we both did to get the cash together for it. But I cant tell you exactly how much either of us contributed towards the drive.

Hi In that case no he has no financial claim on your property since he clearly has not made any financial contribution to it. Of course he may be hoping that you will offer him a nominal payment to avoid an expensive court case - a decision which will be entirely yours to make!

I hope that this is of assistance please ask if you need further details


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you

You are most welcome - I hope all goes well
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you