How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nicola-mod Your Own Question
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 21
Experience:  Moderator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Nicola-mod is online now

How do I get a paternity test for a child that I believe is

Customer Question

How do I get a paternity test for a child that I believe is mine and to date am not receiving co-operation from her Mother
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How old is the child and what contact do you have?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The child is now 26. I have no knowledge of where she resides, but I am in contact with her Mother

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Are you willing to use Court Proceedings?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes I am definetly considering court proceedings. I am tempted to introduce myself to the child as I believe I now know where she works, however I'm not sure if this would be the appropriate thing to do. If I was to initiate court proceedings would they be against the child or the Mother?

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
If she does not wish to have the test done would you still wish to force the issue?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes I would. Can I legally do this through the courts.

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
You will need to trace her address (an enquiry agent should be able to do this)
You can then make an Application for a Declaration of Parentage
The form is here
The fee is £130 and you should expect to pay for the DNA test as well
Please ask if you need further details
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below the Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.

Thank you,