How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nicola-mod Your Own Question
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 21
Experience:  Moderator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Nicola-mod is online now

Hi, I am currently going through a break up with my wife due

Customer Question

Hi, I am currently going through a break up with my wife due to some infidelity on my part. We are not yet divorced and as yet there has been no mention of it, i have moved out of the family home and we are living separate lives at the moment. We have a 4 year old daughter together and I was just wondering what my options are, I currently get to see her for about 14 hours per week but I feel this is not enough, I don't want things to get nasty as I still love my wife, however I believe the time I get with my daughter is simply not enough. Could you please give me some advice?

Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  familylawexpert replied 4 years ago.
My name is Mac and I will be able to help you with your question, but first I need a bit more information:

- has the marriage definitely broken down irretrievably?
- have the two of you tried counselling?
- what is your accommodation like at the moment, and would you like your daughter to stay over?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have suggested counseling to no avail, in her Words we are never getting back together, so as it stands no chance at all... Regarding my living situation yes I have a spare room for my daughter.

Expert:  familylawexpert replied 4 years ago.

That is a shame.

Okay, so the next thing to try is to suggest that the two of you enter into mediation to discuss ongoing arrangements for your daughter. Have you tried that?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

She is been stubborn in that visitation is on her terms, like I say I don't want to have to go down the legal route, but I need to know my entitlement

Expert:  familylawexpert replied 4 years ago.
Ultimately, going to court is potentially expensive, but it does at least provide a solution if the mother won't cooperate.

However, it is not a question of "your entitlement", but of the rights of the child. A court will make the order for contact that it thinks is in the best interests of the child in question. Normally this means that a child should have as good a relationship with both parents as possible, and that ultimately this will include overnight contact etc, but the outcome always depends on the facts of the particular relationship.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below the Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.

Thank you,