How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nicola-mod Your Own Question
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 21
Experience:  Moderator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Nicola-mod is online now

Ive been married for 25 years have two children over 22 years

Customer Question

I've been married for 25 years have two children over 22 years old one lives here in university Hols the other works abroad, I am joint owner of our property, but have not worked for 10years, I'm 55 and my husband is 74, I have contributed to the family by personal money I've inherited, my husband is very covert re his business and intolerable in his enmity towards me, I'm selling our home in next 3/4 months to pay off mortgage , it still leaves substantial equity, but I'm being threatened as to what I will get in divorce settlement, can you give me some indication as to what I'm likely to expect?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Which part of the Uk are you in?
What are the assets and debts worth and what income do you each have?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Central London , I don't want to go into too much further detail , I just want to know your view on 25+ year marriage , we have 2 children 25 & 22 years old, I'm joint owner of property , large mortgage but also large equity, I have not worked for 10 years+ And would need to retrain as building design draughtsman , as all regulations have changed since then. I'm 55 my husband 74 he supports me in all aspects, although I have in last 3 years contributed £200,000 inheritance towards paying off various debts husband incurred and renovations to our joint property, I want to know in event of divorce I want cash settlement in lump sum, 19 years age difference and wish to remain in Central London ?
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Without a clearer idea of the extent of the assets it is hard to give any specifically relevant information - so I shall limit it to an over view at this stage
Given the length of the marriage the starting point for division of ALL the assets is 50/50 however the court has the power to re-distribute the assets in any way they consider necessary
Much will depend on whether or not a 50/50 division gives you sufficient to rehouse yourself, what your ex's income is and whether spouse maintenance is appropriate - but if your employment opportunity is limited and he has good pensions then the fact that you have recently used your inheritance may well get you a larger percentage
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below the Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.

Thank you,