How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nicola-mod Your Own Question
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 21
Experience:  Moderator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Nicola-mod is online now

My ex-husband and I disagree strongly about the choice of secondary

Customer Question

My ex-husband and I disagree strongly about the choice of secondary school for our 10 1/2 year old daughter. He wants private and I want public. He has taken to emailing highly inappropriate/border-line bullying/harassing emails and is basically saying that he will 'fight me' regarding this issue. Our daughter lives with me and sees him every other weekend and half holidays, so she resides with me. In our separation agreement it states that he will have a say in important issues, such as schooling, but I would like to know if there is a way in which 1) can be supported with this without going to court and 2) if I can get an injunction so he does not harass or bully me anymore.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Which school does your daughter wish to go to?
Have you considered mediation?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Dear Clare. My daughter wants to go to the school I prefer, and my ex have refused mediation before in connection with he divorce. Sorry for the delay into reply,

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Have you applied for the school of your choice?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My ex agreed they I could apply as a state school so there was a deadline. He said I could go ahead but that he still wanted to go privat.
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Did you get the place - or is it too early to say?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I won't know till Match but am 95%sure of a place there as live in catchment area and school not oversubscribed.
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Then it is up to your ex to apply to the Court for a Specific Issue Order if he is not happy with the choice that you have made - it would then be up to the court to decide - and given your daughters wishes there is little doubt that you will be successful.
With regard to the emails there is little you can do I am afraid - other than say that you will not respond to any emails that are rude - and then do not do so
If he continues to be abusive then simply do not open the emails at all ad tell him so
Obviously if the abuse becomes verbal you should report it to the police
Please ask if you need further details
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below the Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.

Thank you,