How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nicola-mod Your Own Question
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 21
Experience:  Moderator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Nicola-mod is online now

I am a british citizen but got divorced while living in the

Customer Question

I am a british citizen but got divorced while living in the US (Illinois) in 2007. A long drawn out hostile situation.

My ex wife returned to the UK in 2007

I returned to the UK in 2012.

My ex wife has now sent me a letter via a new uk solicitor referring to two order made against me when I was in the US. Are they valid here in UK law? The orders were made by the US Illinois court for money relating to her costs.

They are not related to maintenance or child maintenance.

Thank you.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Are you asking if it is possible for these orders to be enforced here in the Uk?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Clare,


Yes I am. My ex wife has seen a solicitor and I received a letter requested payment based on an order made in Illinois, US.


Thank you.



Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
I am afraid that the bas news is that a US Order can be enforced in the UK - however it is not an easy or simple process - and is much much more difficult than enforcing maintenance Orders
The basics are covered in the last part of the article here
It could be worth negotiating and offering a lower sum if you think there is a chance that your ex will go through with the enforcement
Please ask if you need further information
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below the Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.

Thank you,