How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1390
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

My ex partner moved away in August of this year with our 7

Customer Question

My ex partner moved away in August of this year with our 7 year old son. My name is XXXXX XXXXX birth certificate and I have been involved with his life since birth and since our separation 4/5 years ago. I moved into my mothers house and had my son half of the week. Where my ex has moved to is aXXXXXaway and I do not have a car or the finances to make a regular trip, but I have been down twice to pick him up and he stayed with us during the last half term in October. I am in regular contact via phone and my mother and grand father write to him regularly. It was agreed that he would spend Xmas with us and he expressed to both parties that was his wish. She has moved into her mothers and last week she said he would not be coming to us. She said if I wanted to I could travel on Boxing Day to pick him up. This is not possible due to public transport and costs involved. Do I have any rights in this matter?

Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What was the reason for the move and did you actually agree to it?
Did she agree to the Christmas arrangements in writing?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My ex moved to be nearer to her mother who lives in Kent and she says he would have a better upbringing down there.


I didnt agree to the move but I didn't think I had any rights to stop her. At the time she said she would be making regular visits back to Manchester and would not deny any access or communication. She has been once since August when I had my child for four nights.


There were no written agreements which I now realise was lacking on my part.


Unfortunately I am using my mothers email address at her place of work but I dont always have access to this.

The other email address is my mothers but she is having problems with it. It [email protected]



Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
is your son happy and settled there now/
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an information request here from the Expert. This means they need to know more details before they will be able to give you a full answer.

Thank you,