How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34905
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My partner and I live together and he pays £550/month in child

Customer Question

My partner and I live together and he pays £550/month in child maintenance for his 2 children from his previous marriage. This has been a verbal agreement since they separated 5 years ago. He has changed jobs and now has a less well paid job and looking on the CSA website it advises that on his current income he should be paying £340. His ex wife has remarried so we have mentioned we feel the maintenance should be reduced now but she is not happy! Are we correct in thinking his maintenance should reduce now his income is less?
Many thanks
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you
You are indeed correct that the maintenance should be reflected as a percentage of your partner's income.
If his ex will not agree then the best way forward is for your partner to ask the CSA to complete an assessment
I hope that this is of assistance- please ask if you need further details