How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1390
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

I have paid child maintenance under a voluntary agreement with

Customer Question

I have paid child maintenance under a voluntary agreement with my ex-wife on my 17 year old daughter for many years. Always paid on-time, or even early if my wife was a little stretched. I have even paid when unemployed, which i am currently. My ex-wife has made me an offer for me to stop paying Child Maintenance, but would want a one-off lump sum payment of £400 now to help through Christmas. Says that she will do this now that our daughter is growing up, and my ex-wife has a better job and is in a better financial position.
Would any written agreement we have be binding, or could my ex-wife come back to me at some point in the future. Would it be worth paying a nominal amount under a voluntary agreement, so CSA could only backdate to when they stepped in? Any other advice to protect me? Thanks
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  familylawexpert replied 4 years ago.

Is your daughter still in full-time education?

Approximately what is your weekly net income?

How much have you been paying under the voluntary agreement?