How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1390
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

the house is in my husbands name only and there is a mortgage

Customer Question

the house is in my husband's name only and there is a mortgage of a little over half the value of the house, around 525,000 pounds. there is about 950,000 in his business, in his name only again. he is displaying worsening alcoholic behaviour and i want to know how i would stand financially in the event that i try for divorce. we have one child together, who is 2 and a half years old. he has insisted i stop working, but i now find myself in a very uncertain place
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How long have you lived together and what income does he have?
How much does a two bedroom property in the same general area cost to buy?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Lived together 7 years. House 2 bed area 250000 to 35000
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
What is his income - and how much were you earning prior to finishing work