How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35052
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have been with my husband for 17 years married for 12 he

Customer Question

I have been with my husband for 17 years married for 12 he is a serving chief inspector with Derbyshire police and has been for 24years. I have found out that he is having an affair, I also work for the police as a staff member but do not have a pension what are my rights to his pension
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you
You do indeed have a claim on his pension equivalent to half of the pension that accrued whilst you were married - possibly a little more to cover the years of co-habitation
This can be dealt with by way of a pension sharing order which splits the pension and puts your share into your name