How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34911
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hello, My Girlfriend who I have lived with for 5 years told

Customer Question


My Girlfriend who I have lived with for 5 years told to move out yesterday which I have.

She is now completely stopped access to my five year old daughter and will not allow me reasonable access, she has also told me we need to go through courts.
She is also threatening to take her to Lithuania. I need to act quickly.
Legally what should I do please?

Thanking you

Kind regards
Stephen Glasson
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Does she have a passport for the child?
What reason has she given for refusing contact?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello, thanks for your reply


No my daughter does not have a passport yet.


She says she will do everything to stop me see my Daughter because she knows that will heart the most. She will stop me seeing her because I want to see her



Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
I have assumed that your ex has links with Lithuania - is that correct?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello, yes this is her home country
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
The law says that a child is entitled to contact with both parents and the courts will enforce this of necessary.
In addition she is not allowed to remove the child from the Uk without your agreement or an Order from the court
You need to try and negotiate with your ex using Family mediation ( to establish contact - more details here
However if she refuses then you can apply to the court for a Prohibited Steps Order to prevent her taking her to Lithuania and for a Defined Contact Order setting out when you can see the child.
IF you are not named on the birth certificate you should also apply for Parental Responsibility.
You can read about such applications here
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details