How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask familylawexpert Your Own Question
familylawexpert, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 311
Experience:  Substantial experience (14yrs +) in divorce, financial cases, cohabitation, pre-nuptial agreements and civil partnerships.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
familylawexpert is online now

Helo I am a concerned mother whose son is paying over a hundred

Customer Question

Helo I am a concerned mother whose son is paying over a hundred pound a week for his so called daughter. He has two jobs to try and make his needs meet. I am worried at the moment because he is going to be homeless in a couple of weeks due to the property he is in has been sold. He has paid this money for a good few years and does not even know where his daughter is. He used to have her every weekend until the mother found a new man in her life and got married a couple of years ago. On the birth certificate father says unknow. I am willing to pay for a DNA test but no one knows where they are. When he met this girl he was only with her a couple of weeks so there is a possibility she could be someone else's child. He is at his wits end and I really feel for his safety as he told me yesterday (which was his birthday) that he could end his life. I know he is very deperate. Thankyou for your time.

Mrs Weller
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  familylawexpert replied 4 years ago.

My name is Mac. I can help you with your question. There are two aspects to it: the level of maintenance, and whether he is the father.

Level of maintenance
Your son can seek an assessment of his maintennace obligation from the CSA. He can also check the amount of that assessment using the CSA online maintenance calculator - I attach the link below:

This is obviously the more fundamental issue. If your son suspects that he is not the father, then he can ask the CSA to investigate the child's parentage. You can read a little more about it at the link below. Ultimately the CSA can initiate a DNA test.

I hope that is helpful. If you would like me to clarify anything, please ask. If not, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer.