How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have a daughter aged 9 with an ex partner, we where never

Customer Question

I have a daughter aged 9 with an ex partner, we where never married and split up when our daughter was 1yrs old. My name is XXXXX XXXXX birth certificate as father, as I am her biological father. My ex partner is to be married soon to her current partner and they wish to change my daughters surname. Do they require my consent todo this?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Could you confirm which month and year the child was born - and what contact you have with her?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

She was born 03/09/2004


i am in the army and I pay CSA. We have an areangemt that I can see my daughter anytime I want. when ever I have time off from work. I go bk home to my parents house and my daughter stays over. there is no restrictions of any kind.

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Since you have Parental Responsibility for your daughter your ex will need either your consent or an Order from the court in order to change her name - and it is highly unlikely that the court will grant the application if one is in fact made
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details