How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34906
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am an ex serving member of the Armed Forces, and payed regular

Customer Question

I am an ex serving member of the Armed Forces, and payed regular monthly payments by deduction from earnings order to the CSA from 1996 until 2003 when I left the Army voluntarily, I informed the CSA of my change of circumstances.I was in and out of work from Aug 2003 until Aug 2004, each time the was a change in my circumstances I informed the CSA.
August 2004 I had knee surgery for an injury that I received whilst serving in the Army, I was receiving incapacity benefits until Jan 2005 when I returned back to work working for various agency's doing temporary work, I also informed the CSA of this, at this time the CSA informed me that it was very difficult to work out what I should pay and asked me what I could afford to pay, this was £10:00 per week, the CSA agreed to this and I continued to pay £10:00 per week until March 2006.
March 2006 I re-joined the Army on a Full Time Reserve contract and relocated to Germany. The CSA were again informed of my change in circumstances and I continued to pay monthly payments by deduction from earnings order.
2010 I was making an inquire to the CSA as to when payments would stop being deducted for my daughter as she was now 16 yrs and working, the CSA then informed me
that I was £11,000 + in arrears, this was investigated and proved to be wrong, I was awarded £250 for maladministration by the CSA.
Then March 2011 the CSA informed me that I was again in arrears of £11,000+ but this time claimed that they had made a mistake in 2006 whilst making the assessment to the
amount that I pay, the say that they had used my earnings from 1998 by mistake, I find
this very difficult to believe as in 1998 I was paying approx £272 per month and 2006 I was paying £389 per month and the from 2008 £472 per month.
I have now finished my contract with the Army in Sep 2011, an now self employed, the children that I payed CSA for are now 19 & 20 yrs and in work, so I do not pay CSA, but the CSA still persist in trying to recover these arrears of £11,000+.
I have always paid the amounts that the CSA have deducted and never disagreed with what I should pay since 1996 also informing the CSA of changes to my circumstances, how could this happen and why is it my fault that the CSA made a so called mistake in 2006 resulting in me being £11,000+ in arrears now, it is causing my new wife and I so much stress at the moment as we are currently homeless and trying to buy a family home.
I am desperate for help as I am getting nowhere with the CSA.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Have you ever received a written breakdown?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes just recently I received a written breakdown.


Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Do the calculations make any sense at all?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello again Clare,

Sorry for the delay, the written breakdown basically says what I have paid per month from March 1997 to March 2011. But what I can't understand is that the CSA say that they used my earnings from 1998 to calculate my payments? Why should they do this when at

This time 2006 I was communicating with them and forwarded information of my salary, the CSA were also at the time talking to the armed forces pay master from which they could get all the information they required about my salary. The CSA also claim that they did not review my case again from 2006 until 2011, but in 2008 my payments increased from £389.56 to £472.26, how could this happen? I continued to pay £472.26 until March 2011, then my payments increased again to £145.78 per week until I left the Army Sept 2011, all of this time there was no change to my circumstances, the whole thing is very confusing and I can't get answers from the CSA, I do hope that you can help.



Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
This sounds typical of the CSA.
The starting point is to get a full copy of your file (£10 under the Freedom of Information Act) which may help you identify what the CSA have been doing.
I am not sure from what you say if you have simply written letters of complaint or have in fact followed the fill complaints process - if you haven't now is the time to start
This website ( gives a wide range of information that will be of assistance - the most obvious explanation in incorrect accounting by the CSA
I hope that this is of some assistance - please ask if you need further details