How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1390
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

Hi I divorced seven years ago and my children very very rarely

Customer Question

I divorced seven years ago and my children very very rarely see their father as he makes no effort at all. If I die, would he automatically have right to custody or could my wishes be honoured of them living with my brother? My children are currently 9 and 11. I fear that if their father thinks he may get financial reward for having them then he will and that frightens me. Can you tell me where I stand please. I made a will a few years ago and have obviously left my estate to them. And have made my wishes for their upbringing clear.

Thanks in advance
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How rarely do they see their father?
How often do they spend time with your brother?