How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

can my ex (we where not married) make me pay school fees on

Customer Question

can my ex (we where not married) make me pay school fees on top of regular csa payments, she says she can take me to court and get me to pay half and have it back dated...
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.

Clare :

Hi Thank you for your question.

Clare :

My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.

Clare :

How old is the child, how much do you earn, and who chose to send the child to a private school?

JACUSTOMER-o6w9b8jm- :

She is 11 in april, I earn approx. 3,000 a month and pay 420 a month maintenance, and my ex has chosen to

JACUSTOMER-o6w9b8jm- :

send her to private school.

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Is you payment made via the CSA and do you have any other children at all - if so do they or did they go to private school?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes my payment is via the csa, and I have one other

Child that lives with me, he does not attend a private school.

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Your ex can certainly make an application under Schedule 1 of the Children Act for help with School fees.
However in a position where you did not agree to Private education and your other child doe snot attend a Private School she will struggle to convince a court to make the order.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details