How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 3843
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

I need advice on protecting my home and assets from someone

Customer Question

I need advice on protecting my home and assets from someone who seems to be trying t o obtain power of attorney over me.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome.

My name is AJ and I will assist you?

How is this person trying to obtain a PoA over you? Is it in the court of protection?

Can you give me any further information?

Kind regards

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have cancer early treatment caused acute kidney failure for which I'm having treatment.This person has contacted my Doctor saying that I'm depressed and suicidal which is not true , but I do really wonder why they would do such a thing if its not to get power of attorny

Expert:  Alex J. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you.

The only way to get a PoA is for you to consent and sign it. The alternative is they would have to go to the court of protection to obtain a court order to administer your affairs.

Your doctor should not be discussing your medical affairs with anyone other than you.

If this person is deliberately meddling in your affairs and harassing with out just cause I would consider reporting the matter to the police.

Simply being depressed would not be sufficient for someone to get a court order from the court of protection, you would have to fully lack either mental or physical capacity to administer your affairs.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards