How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKfamsol Your Own Question
UKfamsol, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 560
Experience:  Very experienced specialist family law solicitor, qualifed in 1994
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
UKfamsol is online now

I was wondering you had any advice... I bit my child on the

Customer Question

I was wondering you had any advice... I bit my child on the arm as he bit another child as a way to teach him that it hurts to bite. I caused a bruise. he went to nursery and they reported it to social services, who then took access away from me. I admitted what I had done and made a statement. i was then given a child cruelty caution. I am now aallowed to see my children under supervision until a child protection meeting is set. I have never been introuble with the police before apart from a driving efence and never involved with social services. do u have any advice on this matter?

Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  UKfamsol replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thanks for your question.

You did absolutely the right thing in admitting what you did and cooperating fully with both the police and with social services. It's important that you continue to do so.

Go to all meetings and appointments with social services & with the police. As you have been given a caution, I don't think that the police will take any further action. If social services or the police ask you to do or not do anything, make sure you follow their directions.

You need to show social services that you are willing to learn what would be an appropriate way to teach a young child the way to behave, now that you know that biting a child is not ok. Ask if you can be referred to a parenting skills course. Most local authorities run them or know of approved agencies that run them. Usually each course is designed for parents of children of a particular age-group.

I know it's frustrating to have your contact restricted to supervised only, when it wasn't before, but what you need to do is prove to social service that your child is safe with you and at no risk of being hurt by you in the future. Hopefully, then, social services will not start court proceedings.

Social services do have a legal duty to take action if they are worried about the welfare of any child that lives in their area, and the police are obliged to report to social services (as is the nursery) if anything like this comes to their notice - so you are not being singled out for special treatment.

I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck.

I hate to specify - but please rate my answer ok, good or excellent - or I get nothing for my time!!! (so the website keeps all).)

Thanks and best wishes...