How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1390
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

I have been cohabiting with my partner since 2009, and we have

Customer Question

I have been cohabiting with my partner since 2009, and we have been together since 2006. I am female, 54 yrs old; he is 60. He is still legally married, however, and is not legally separated. There are no minor children involved. She lives in a house nearby which is fully paid for. He still has a bank account with his wife's name on it. I have an account in my own name. The house we live in is in his name and his sister's name (paying a mortgage). I am a full-time doctoral student and am financially dependent on him (although I have just taken up a low-paying, part-time job). He has developed cancer and also has other medical problems, and I am his sole carer. Although he is still able to work, I am worried what will happen if he becomes too ill to go to work and/or dies. Do I have any legal rights to the house we live in, his bank account, his pension?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law