How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1390
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

I have a consent/ court order for child maintenance dated May

Customer Question

I have a consent/ court order for child maintenance dated May 2004 ordering my ex husband the father of my son to pay £400 per month - increasing with RPI every year, until my son reaches 18 or leaves full time education. My ex has only paid between £250 to £300 per month never increasing and has never applied for a variation in that order. My ex husband is now re-married with no other children or step children under the age of 18 or in education. He is very wealthy with a high income which has increased over the years, whilst i have worked hard and often struggled for several years raising our child. I have never tried to fight this before due to my ex husband being quite aggressive years ago and i opted for an easier life! Can i now apply to have some or all of the money he owes me paid after all this time? My son is now 12 years old.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Have you worked out what the arrears actually are?
Why have you left it this long to take action? (sadly this is a relevant question)