How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Can my husband move his 19 year old daughter into our home.

Customer Question

Can my husband move his 19 year old daughter into our home. I childmind from here and already have my 2 boys aged 19 and 17 and our son from the marriage already living here in our 4 bedroom house. She lives with her Mum at present but my husband says he can move her in whenever he likes?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Where would he expect her to sleep?
Does she wish to move in?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He says my 2 oldest boys will have to share. He is doing all this to try and force me out the house I'm sure. She hardly comes round now but he keeps throwing it in my face that she has every right to move in whenever she wants.

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Indeed she does - but he cannot force your boys to share either.
His daughter has as much right to be in the house as your eldest does.
So the next time he says it simply say - yes of course - and she is welcome to share xxxx's room with him and then move the conversation on
It is as you say part of his intimidation tactics - so it is up to you to dismiss them as such.
Please ask if you need further details