How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask cityguru Your Own Question
cityguru, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 13329
Experience:  30 yrs experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
cityguru is online now

My father has the house I live in in his name mortgage and

Customer Question

My father has the house I live in in his name mortgage and deeds but he wants me to transfer it to me I can't financially get a mortgage in my name. But can I get the deeds put into my name and pay the mortgage that is in his name
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  cityguru replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your question. I am afraid if there is a mortgage you cannot change the title to the property without the agreement of the mortgagee. What you could possibly do is get them to agree to a transfer into joint names. Otherwise he can execute a declaration of trust giving you the beneficial ownership of the property whilst leaving the legal title in his name.