How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask cityguru Your Own Question
cityguru, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 13329
Experience:  30 yrs experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
cityguru is online now

what is the statutory limatations on seeking equaty from a

Customer Question

what is the statutory limatations on seeking equaty from a property. My ex boyfriend wants money from the house that we lived in together. He left me 5 years ago and has had no contact for 5 years. His name is XXXXX XXXXX the deeds or the mortgage. we only lived in the house for 1 year together.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  cityguru replied 4 years ago.
Hi did he put any money into to purchase it? Was there any agreement for him to share it when you bought? Who put up the deposit? Is it a repayment mortgage or an interest only one and did he pay any of it?

The limitation period for most claims is 6 years although of some it is 12. A claim like this would be 6 years unless there is some sort of trust deed or similar document.

If you come back with a but more information I can give you guidance on whether there is any basis for him to make a claim.