How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34902
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Dear Sir/MadamIs there any way in English Law of officially

This answer was rated:

Dear Sir/Madam

Is there any way in English Law of officially sevring a relationship with a daughter? My daughter has set about trying to destroy my reputation and damage me in other ways. She has done appalling things to me. And I would like if possible officially to renounce any relationship. I am a wealthy man and doubtless she will want a share of my estate.

Yours sincerely

Peter Rhodes
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How old is your daughter?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dear Clare


she is now 25, but has waged a campaign against me for over eight years, despite ensuring she had no student debt, funding a penthouse flat for her in Canary Wharf and an apartment in Nice.


Her behaviour destroyed my marriage to her mother.


If I had done anything to her which would justify her behaviour I would understand. But I have worked to keep her in one of the best schoold in the Uk and one of the best Universities. So I have to accept that the best I can do at this point is protect myself in some way from her and thus wondered if there is any legal way of officially severing the father daughter relationship.


Yours sincerely

I am afraid that there is no way that you can "divorce " your daughter.
However you can write a Will excluding your daughter from your Will - although it is wise to write a letter to have kept with the Will setting out the reasons for your decision.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you