How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask familylawexpert Your Own Question
familylawexpert, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 311
Experience:  Substantial experience (14yrs +) in divorce, financial cases, cohabitation, pre-nuptial agreements and civil partnerships.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
familylawexpert is online now

Child is 18yrs full time education and part time working. Can

This answer was rated:

Child is 18yrs full time education and part time working. Can maintence be paid to the cihild?

If someone is liable to pay child maintenance, then they are required to pay it to the other parent (usually the mother), not to the child. However, of course, that is subject to any agreement between the parents for other arrangements. But, in the absence of agreement, it must be paid to the mother.

Please ask for any clarification you would like, otherwise I would be grateful if you could rate my answer.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Even though child is paying parent allowance out of his/her wages?

The liability to child maintenance is not affected by many things, and what the child is doing with his/her own money is not relevant I am afraid.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So the absent parent pays for a child purely based on child in full time education regardless of any other income present parent may receive until 19yrs of age or the school year ending after that? Even though you know its not going towards childs needs but in luxuries but cant prove it.

I'm sure the government would phrase it differently but, in broad terms, yes.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok. Not the answer I wanted but its the law. One last thing full time education doesnt include university as this is higher education at a-level and above is that correct?

Yes, that's correct - it's only full-time education but to A-Levels or equivalent. And only up to the child's 20th birthday.

Yes, I'm sorry that's not what you would have wanted to hear overall, but am obviously constrained to tell you like it is...

If there's nothing more I can help you with, I'd be grateful if you rated my answer.

familylawexpert and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you