How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35063
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Can my Daughters ex - husband take my grandson (aged 11) on

This answer was rated:

Can my Daughter's ex - husband take my grandson (aged 11) on holiday abroad without his (or my daughter's ) consent?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Is there a Residence Order in place?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No there is not a residence order in place - my grandson has been abroad with his father before but does not want to go this year as he is very home sick each time he goes.

The father needs either the permission of the other parent or an order form the court in order to take the child out of the country even on holiday.
However if the father does apply to the Court for a defined contact order to include foreign holidays then it is likely to be granted
It would be best for your daughter to try and discuss matters with her ex using family mediation and a mediator trained to also work with young people so that the child's views can be clearly heard in the process
This would then give her independent evidence of the child's feelings on the matter
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you