How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

If I separate from my partner and move out of the home owned

This answer was rated:

If I separate from my partner and move out of the home owned jointly by both her and myself into rented accommodation and I continue to pay half the mortgage can she be made to pay half my rent
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Are there any children involved and why do you intend to continue paying half the mortgage?
What income do you each have?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Clare


There are no children involved.


Because the house will be sold and my name is XXXXX XXXXX mortgage. So that I receive an equal share in any profit when it is sold or is it not worth paying towards the mortgage if I move out?


I am a retired teacher with a total income of £1750 per month, she a teaching assistant with the same total income which includes state pension.



You do not have to pay half of the mortgage to retain your interest in the property - as you so rightly point out you have to pay rent to live else where
Your ex paying your half of the mortgage is their "rent" for living in your part of the property.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you