How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12088
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor. Partner in own firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My daughter has just turned 16, still at secondary school and

This answer was rated:

My daughter has just turned 16, still at secondary school and is registered disabled, she gets a mobility car plus money from the state and I pay child maintenance when do I stop paying.
Thank you for your question.

If you have a statutory child maintenance arrangement, regular child maintenance payments must be made if a child is:

is under the age of 16;
is under the age of 20 and in full time non-advanced education or approved training, or:
is under the age of 20 and child benefit is being paid for them, and

The usual test is whether child benefit is still being paid. Once that stops the obligation to pay child maintenance stops although a child at college or university is entitled to claim aliment directly from each parent for the duration of the course or until the age of 25 whichever comes first,

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I already know this information thanks, but what I wanted to know was as my daughter is now 16 she will be receiving disability living allowance as she has cerabral palsy. She lives with her mum and step dad and also receives monies from myself, I don't know if she will have declared the money she receives frm me.
Disability living allowance is non means tested so the maintenance you pay would not have to be declared.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
One last thing I would like to clarify is when my daughter comes and stays for holidays etc, do I have to keep paying maintenance for the time she stays with me and would I then be entitilled to any disability benefits for her stay + what happens then with the mobility car?
Her disability benefits and car are personal to her. You may have a case for suggesting that the car be insured for you to drive her during holidays unless you have transport of your own but that is not something there is any code or law about.

As far as child maintenance is concerned you do have to pay it during holidays and the time she stays with you but the CSA should be told the number of nights a year your daughter stays with you because that is one of the factors used to calculate the amount of the maintenance payment to start with.