How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34902
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My 15 year old son wants my husband to adopt him he has brought

Customer Question

My 15 year old son wants my husband to adopt him he has brought him up as his own since he was 3 and a half and we married 7 years ago. My husband and I also have an 8 year old daughter as well. My sons birth father is named on the birth certificate but has had an almost non existent relationship with my son he has visited him 4/5 times in the last 12 years the last time being January 2010. He has never provided any financial support in over 12 years. My son is very vocal about wanting to be adopted and fully understands the implications of being adopted with regards XXXXX XXXXX birth father. I'm pretty sure my ex husband would not give permission could we go ahead without it? Many thanks
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you
The Court does have the power to dispense with the Consent of the father if they consider it just to do so and given the clear wishes of your son it is likely that the Judge would do so.
You should speak to the Adoption Section of the local Children's Services Department who will discuss starting the process with you
Approach them sooner rather than later as it may take a year and has to be completed before his 18th Birthday
Please ask if you need further details