How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34902
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hello I am currently at a decree Nisi in my divorce. My

This answer was rated:


I am currently at a decree Nisi in my divorce. My husband is divorcing me.
I have recently been sent a form E Financial Statement.
The letter from his solicitor states " our client wishes to make progress with the financial and property aspects of the case"
Do I have to fill in this form E?
There is nothing attached or written to say that he has applied for a financial order through court.


Thank you for your question.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you
Clearly your ex is trying to open negotiations - and the voluntary exchange of Forms E is a very good start - as it arranging to attend Family mediation (
So no at present you do not have to do it - but it would be a sensibl enext move to keep down costs
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok so if I ignore the form, then how much is it likely to cost?

I am litigant in person.

He wants a higher percentage of the property but I would like the lions share.

To give you a little bit of background. We seperated in june 2012, I moved into a flat in oct 2102 to escape verbal and aggressive abuse.

He stayed in the family home with the two children.

He then attacked me and threatened my life in front of the children in sept 2013 and was arrested and charged.

The children stayed with me in the one bedroom flat until i was awarded an occuaption order to move back to the family home with the children.

He now wants me to sell and have his chunk of money.



It is in your interests to complete the form - it has to be done at some point and sooner rather than later is a good approach.
Ignoring the Form and forcing him to actually issue the application will simply make you look unwilling to deal with matters - which would not be fair given all the circumstances
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you