How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34902
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have recently found out that I have no legal rights over

Customer Question

I have recently found out that I have no legal rights over my step children. They are now all adults over the age of 18. What can I do to remedy this situation and have full legal rights.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Given that they are all now over 18 what is it that you wish to achieve?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I would like to become their legal guardian so that we can legally have a say in each others lives.

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Since they are over 18 even their biological parents have no Legal Rights over them and the only legal link will be triggered in the event of their dying without leaving a Will at which point if they have neither spouse nor children their parents would inherit their estate
Equally the only legal right that the children have arises in the event that their parents die without Wills
There is nothing that can now change the legal relationship between you and your step- children however if they have not already done so they can adopt your name if they so wish - and you can all make Wills which ensures that the relationship is not ignored in the event of death.
I am sorry not to give better news - please ask if you need further details