How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35056
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

We used to take my son half way to Brighton to see his father.

This answer was rated:

We used to take my son half way to Brighton to see his father. But in December we told his dad if he wants to see him to pick him up from our house in Steyning as not fair on my other kids. He has no other kids. He has refused. My son has not seen him for nearly 1 1/2 yrs. he is supposed to ring every Wednesday, set up by solicitor but has not.
We're now thinking of moving to Exeter as my parents live that way ,they have not been well. So we would be a support and to get more support of them plus there are more opportunities for the kids down there. Am I in my legal right to do so? Does parental responsibility stop if the parent walks away ? I've never stopped him from seeing our son, we my husband and I have been to solicitors in past to encourage him.
Shall I write him a letter saying what we're planing ? Or wait ?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How old is your son and could you confirm when your son last saw his father?
Is there a court order in place regarding contact - and which of you moved away from where you were last together as a family?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My son is 14 at end of month. He saw him in August of 2012. He has parental responsibility , I have residency. No court order over contact. I'm the one who moved away when my son was about three. I'm scared off him. He's emotionally abusive towards me , don't know about son,
We went to solicitor to try and get agreement on meeting. He agreed every other weekend at Brighton station, half way as he lives in bexhill, but he started by missing contacts . As I have three other children who suffer with travel sickness I decided plus being able to afford to meet as both husband and my self on benefits, he should come to Steyning .hope this helps
There is no reason not to make the move.
Your ex could make an application to the court to prevent you from doing so - but in the circumstances that you have described of his not having seen the child for over a year his chances of success are slender,
You should send him details of where the child will live and which school he will go to
The only potential problem is that if contact does resume you will be expected to bear the bulk of the extra burden of travelling but clearly as your son is growing older this is less of an issue
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you