How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35058
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

hi Claire my name is XXXXX XXXXX been divorced since 2009..i

This answer was rated:

hi Claire my name is XXXXX XXXXX been divorced since 2009..i got a letter statin I had to pay 200 per month which I ave been doin but on dif days as no fixed date per month was set or how to pay ie direct debit ,,or fifty pound per week,,etc,,,I been payin this and have now got a letter from maintence service sayin she not pleased withit ,,I gave them my details and now they want me to pay 300 per month ,,hows that work,,that cant be right surely,,what rights do I have ,,I have my daughter and buy her trainers ,,etc all the time,,, yours sincerely XXXXX XXXXX
Hi Andy
Thank you for your question.
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Who was the letter from and when did you receive it?
How much do you earn, what contact do you have with your daughter and do you have any other children that you care for or maintain?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi Claire .....the letter was dated the 25th November 2008,,it was sent from Howarth Scott Solicitors of the Old Vicarage 174a Broadway Bexleyheath Kent..(0208(NNN) NNN-NNNN.... my wages these days are 581.90 per week and I take home 450.00....I have my daughter tues n thurs every week ,,,,and occasional weekends nowadays as she at that age she with her mates n friends,,,,i did have her most weekends and I still see her when ever we want to see each other to,,,my other daughter zoe is twenty nearly twenty one and now lives in Birmingham,,,i payed 200 as quoted in the letter from Howarth Scott till now and I always buy Hannah her stuff she needs ie,,trainers,,clothes,tech,,pay half her phone bill with ex tina snow to,,,i have payed 200 every month as agreed,,,,

So you have now heard from the CSA?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I received letter last fri 31st jan 2014...from the Child Maintence Service Team from Mitcheldean...

What have they asked for?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

they said they heard from tina snow my ex....and got my wages what I earn and take homw per week,,my bank details n set up a direct debit already...just on her say so,,,even thiugh ive been payin all the time every year sinse letter from solicistors bak in 2008 and before as I was separated,,,

I am afraid that the payments that you have been making have become too low relative to your income.
Whilst it would have been nice if your ex had spoken to you and perhaps agreed a higher amount - but she did not have to do so.
Instead she applied to the CSA and they have completed an assessment based on your income - as they are entitled to do
You can check if the calculations are correct using the information here
If the CSA have missed some information then you can appeal it - but otherwise I am afraid that it will have to be paid BUT you cannot be forced to pay any of the extras that your ex has been used to your paying.
Sorry to give you such disappointing news - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you