How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35044
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I want to divorce my husband but dont think I will be ok financi

This answer was rated:

I want to divorce my husband but don't think I will be ok financially...we have been living together for ten years-married for the last five and have a 7 yr old son.
my husband is 58 and semi retired,i work 20 hours a week in a low paid job.
my husband bought 100 thousand into the marriage which we put into our home,it is worth 230 thousand and we now owe 30 thousand. my husband also gets an nhs pension..
I am worried as I dint think things will be divided equally as he bought more into the marriage than this true ?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What other assets are there and what income do you each actually have?
Who is the main carer of your child - and how much does a two bedroom property in a cheaper part of the same general area cost to buy?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

we have 5,000 in joint account and two not very new cars,thats it.I have been the main carer of our son until john went part time when he semi retired,he now works 9-2 everyday except Monday(he has this day off) and I work two long days and a half so we share the care in a way but I have three children from another marriage and the daughter who still lives with us is 19 and has helped with our son constantly as john has kept up his social life during our marriage. so in theory we share the care but in reality it is mainly me with the help of my daughter and then my husband.

my monthly income is 670. my husband earns 1,200 and gets 1,200 from pension.

A two bedroom property would cost about 130 thousand or two to three bedroom flats about 110 thousand.

I would happily live in a two bedroom property as my daughter is making plans to move out with her boyfriend at the end of the year.

This is a medium length relationship but there is a small child involved and your ex's income is substantially more than yours
On that basis it is likely that the court will in fact start with a 50/50 division and you may get a little extra to allow you to purchase a two bedroom property.
Whether this "extra" will be repayable when your child turns 18 is harder to gauge - but if you give up your claim on his pension and for spouse maintenance it is possible that you will NOt have to do so.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you